* Whenever possible visit the property before hand. Check it inside and out and walk to the lake.
It is your family's vacation and that initial cottage visit can sometimes pay off. That still does not
mean problems will not arise, below is a general list of other information you should inquire about.
* If you can not visit the property you can be at risk. Therefore ask lots of questions and
know as much about the property as possible, below is a general list of information you should
* When first contacting a property owner confirm where the property is located and if applicable
mention the name of the vacation property. Note the rental period you are interested in and if
possible an alternative date. Advise of the total number of people in your group, adults and children.
You can always inquire about pets, but "no pets allowed" usually means "no pets".
* Private Vacation Rentals are usually used by the property owners themselves at different times
throughout the year. Respect their homes as you would do your own.
General information you should inquire about when booking.
- Have a Liability/Rental Agreement.
- Know the Cancellation Policy.
- Watch out for excessive Security/Damage Deposits, are they refundable.
- Know the Insurance Coverage held by the Property Owner.
- Know your Own Insurance Coverage in the event that something goes wrong.
- Confirm Rental Period and know your Arrival and Departure Times.
- Ask for References from previous renters.
- Ask for additional Pictures, especially if few are shown.
- Most Vacation Rentals require all Payments (deposits and other installments) to be
Paid in Full before the rental period starts. Pay by Cheque, ask for a Receipt.
- If you are Booking through an Agency inquire when they last visited the property.
- If Booking On-line print out all the information for future reference.
- Follow up with a Phone Call and Email Confirmation
General information you should inquire about regarding the property.
- Review the Directions to the location.
- What is the Road Access like, especially in Off Season.
- How Private is the Property.
- Are there Safety Issues that children and adults should be aware of.
- What are the Swimming Conditions and Beach like, especially for children.
- How far is the Body of Water to the cottage.
- Are there many Large Boats or Noisy Speed Boats on the water.
- Are Additional Guests Allowed (you should keep the numbers small).
- Are Pets Allowed (always best to leave at the kennel).
- Is Smoking allowed outside only or not on the property at all.
- Where is the nearest Convenience Store, and Medical Services.
General information you should inquire about regarding the cottage.
Find out what's included, and know the DOs and DON'Ts of the cottage.
- How are the Keys obtained.
- Is the Tap Water drinkable or should separate water be brought.
- Is the Kitchen Fully Equipped; is there enough dishes, cutley and general utensils.
- How are the Fridge and Stove and other small appliances such as;
Microwave, Coffee Maker, Kettle, Toaster, Blender etc
- Are any Kitchen or Bed Linens provided: Sheets, Blankets, Pillows, Towels
- Define the Sleeping Arrangements to accommodate the number of people in your group.
- What are the Maximum Number of People allowed on the property at one time.
- Does the Bathroom have a tub and shower or just a shower stall.
- What are the Rules regarding the Septic, inside and out.
- Instructions for Electronic Equipment such as VCR, CD, DVD, Satellite Dish, etc
- Is there use of a Telephone (long distance calls should be done on a calling card.
- How is the place Heated is case of cool nights.
- Is Indoor Fireplace and Outdoor Fire Pit Wood provided.
- Is there a BBQ and what type, Charcoal or Propane, is gas provided.
- Is there sufficient Outdoor Furniture.
- Water Toys ie: Canoe, Paddle Boats, and Motorized Boats (must have necessary
boat operators licence plus appropriate safety equipment and life jackets.)
- How do you dispose of Garbage and items for Recycling.
- Who to call if something goes wrong with the Plumbing or Electrical System.
- Is there a First Aid Kit.
- What are the Emergency Phone Numbers.
- How can you reach the Property Owner in case of questions or emergency.
Book your vacation early to avoid disappointment!